Sunday, November 16, 2014

NaNoWriMo, Reading, and Colleges

Whoops, well, I guess this is that 'future point' I said I would see you at. I'm pretty bad at updating, especially with everything that I've been busy doing. Some nights I don't have a spare minute to myself because of homework and practicing and trying to get in my word count for NaNoWriMo.
What's that you say? 'NaNoWriMo again?' Why, yes, I am participating again, and I have a good 36,000 words already written down, hoping to reach 40,000 by the end of today. Maybe not so realistic, but I can try my best.
Life has actually been pretty dull. That's another reason that I didn't post on here. What am I supposed to post about? How thrilling all of my classes are which they aren't ? The books that I haven't been reading? Fandoms I've been re-obsessed with recently? There isn't a whole lot that goes on in my life that people would want to hear about.
We've been reading The Scarlet Letter for my AP Language and Composition class. There are very few books that I've been assigned during school that I haven't enjoyed. This, thankfully, is one of the many that I have. Most that I haven't enjoyed include things such as The Prince and The Social Contract. We read The Crucible earlier in the year, and I have to say that's probably one of my favourite plays I've read for an English class. It's quite dramatic throughout.
I've also personally been reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes some more. I love mysteries from that time, which may be why Agatha Christie is another of my favourite authors.
Random thought, but I guess I've never really thought about how close college is, and how quickly it's approaching. I'm over a quarter of the way through my Junior year of high school, and there's only one more year after this. Sometimes, it hits me, like when I see friends I made during my freshman year, when they were sophomores, sending out college applications and getting ready for graduation in June. And yet it feels like no time has passed since we were all underclassmen trying not to get trampled by my brother's class (he was a Senior when I was a freshman).
I've started looking at colleges, and there are two in particular that I plan on applying for. I'm sure there will be others that I find interest in, but for now, my focus is on these. The Writing Programs are supposed to be impressive in both of them, and, seeing as writing is one of the only things I could see myself doing in the future as a career, I figured it'd be smart to start by looking for that kind of thing.
I'm not good at science or with technology. I can do math but I'm definitely no fan, and I quite enjoy history but my teachers in the past few years haven't been the best. Personally, I think I would do better to teach history in my own way at my own pace. My US History class (I decided against AP because of my schedule) is frustratingly simple and bores me near to tears sometimes. But what would I do with History anyways for a career? I have no skill with teaching, so becoming a History teacher would make no sense. What I actually thrive in is Band and creative writing, and while I would definitely survive playing music professionally, it's something I feel I need to keep as a hobby. It is used to help get rid of stress, and being a professional musician would more likely add stress, which isn't something I need.
So, yeah, that's all that I've really done. Hopefully, something more interesting will come up that I can tell you about, like the school musical (the pit doesn't have a part for alto sax, BUT if we can't get a French Horn player, which is quite likely, then my band director said he may ask me to play it because we have similar range in our instruments and I could transpose it without too much trouble), pep band, Christmas, something.

Until then,
Beth (not really)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to.