Friday, May 18, 2012

...And I've come to a horrible realization...
Oh well, Formal's tomorrow, I'm super excited (even if I have a ton of homework) and I want it to be Saturday already!
Oh, also I've finished one out of seven interviews. :3 I think I'm going to do the interview week next week. ;) Stayed Tuned to BNC.
ANYWAYS, to get back to my point. I've come to a horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad realization. That first book I finished? That ENTIRE novel? I have to rewrite it. All of it. Not from scratch, mind you, but I still have to rewrite it. Since my dad told me that one HUGE shocker, I've decided to focus on THIS series for the next couple years.
So, what's a better intro? New and improved:

“Kristen, Kristen, it’s time to get up!” I could hear Lea calling my name. She sounded impatient and worried. I, however, wasn’t to be worried. Instead of getting up and asking her what was wrong, like I normally did, I shoved my face into my pillow again.
   “What time is it?” I wanted to know. My voice sounded like a dead cat’s since I was so groggy and almost drifted back off into sleep while waiting for Lea to answer me.

   “It’s time to get up!” Lea yelled. I lifted my head. Her blonde hair was brushed, her face was washed, and day clothes on. “We have a couple minutes until inspection and the other two haven’t done a thing to clean up!” We tended to avoid our roommates, and, not knowing their names, simply called them ‘those two’ or ‘the other two’.

   I jumped out of my bed, and hit my head on the bunk above me. I fingered the sore spot for a moment. ‘That’s what you get for rushing’, I though angrily to myself after confirming that there was no welt. I then quickly picked up clothes off the floor while Lea dusted the desk and closet of cobwebs. I could hear the inspector, Scientist Numero Uno, walking down the hall, shoes ‘click-clacking’ on the stone floor.

   Just as the click-clacking stopped by our door, I put the last article of clothing away in the closet and the duster from Lea’s cold, clammy hands to its place in the corner behind the door. I knew that if even the smallest piece of paper wasn’t put away, Scientist Numero Uno, or ‘Alexander Martinez’, would give us extra chores to do.

   “Good morning subjects. Stand straight for inspection,” Uno ordered in a monotone voice. His clipboard was loose in his hand and his eyes were drooped low, as if he were tired too. Coat on crooked with a part of his collar sticking up, Uno strolled slowly around the room, bending down occasionally to check small nooks and crannies. When he was done, he walked in front of us, exaggerated a check mark on his paper, and spoke. “Everything appears to be in order. That should be all.” His voice sounded like a door in an old house, creaking when opened after years of being closed.

   After we heard his footsteps recede, Lea and I headed out of our room towards the ‘Board’. It told us where our Factor would be working that day. A couple drops of water dripped from the ceiling and one landed on my neck, making me shiver. The cavern became empty as we walked on, so our footsteps were the only sound made. Eventually, the lights became farther and farther apart, leaving us in a moment of complete darkness before seeing the light ahead.
  
   The longest stretch of darkness was ahead of us. As the light behind us became black, Lea’s cold hand gripped mine. I wanted to speak, to make more noise than the eerie clacks of our shoes, but the echo it would make would be just as eerie, if not worse.
  
   It took another minute to reach the next lighted area, with the Board ahead of us. Lea ran ahead of me to examine the board. I waited for her, leaning against a wall and running fingers through my bright red hair. A couple people were huddling around the board, and Lea was having a hard time scurrying through them. A tall man walked up and shoved Lea to the side so that he could see. Lea stumbled and fell to the ground, ruining her clothes and her hands were muddy.
   I jogged over to her and helped her up off the ground, dusting off some dried mud. Tears sprang to Lea’s eyes and she started walking towards the tall man, so I had to stop her. Then she turned towards me, blonde curly hair flying behind her, brown eyes flashing in fury. Still, I held her shirt tightly in my fist and wouldn’t let her attack the man.
That, or the original:
   Way too early, I heard Lea yelling my name, “Kristen! Kristen! Wake up! Wake up!”
   “What time is it?” I mumbled into my pillow. Lea was shaking my shoulders really hard.
   “It’s time to get up!” Lea yelled. “You have a couple minutes until inspection, and the other two haven’t done a thing!” We always avoided our other two roommates, and never interacted with them. They avoided us, and each other, just as much.
   I jumped out of my hammock to hit my head on the ceiling. ‘That’s what you get for rushing,’ I thought angrily to myself. I rushed to clean the place before Scientist Numero Uno showed up. He wouldn’t be so forgiving.
   I finished cleaning right before Scientist Numero Uno, who called himself ‘Alexander Martinez’ walked in. He checked every nook and cranny for something to sentence us for, but couldn’t find anything. Grunting, he nodded his head and left the room.
   “We need to go work in the fields today,” Lea whispered.

Well, what's better? Honestly? :P
Beth (NOT. REALLY.)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm...I'd say, that you should try merging the two together. I know that sounds weird, but it is true. Both of them give important tidbits that the other doesn't. Try to incorporate as much information as you can in one copy. Most novels have to be re-written at LEAST three times. The first is the rough draft, or main idea. The second is the one with all of the extra information. The third is condensed and mentions only the relevant and important stuff. The third is the polished and finished product. This is a good outline to follow. I hope this help and makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to.